Monday, December 14, 2009

The Value of Education

I'm not sure how the conversation got started exactly but S and I were talking about school at dinner last night. He was saying things like, "when I get bigger I can go by myself." Then he said, "when I'm grown up I won't go to school anymore." My response, what else could it have been really,
Me: "You've got at least 20 years or so of school ahead of you buddy."
S: "Why?"
Me: "Because your dad and I value education, we think it's really important that you go to school and learn."
S: "Why?"
Me: "Because then you'll have all sorts of choices and options in your life and you can be anything you want to be when you grow up."
S: "This looks like a monster [referring to the dried kiwi he was holding]."
Me: "You're right it does kind of look like a monster."
Followed by a lot of laughing.

I'm looking forward to the many conversations we'll have that go something like this!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good one on Parenting - Live! - it helps a lot!

We clearly share similar parenting experiences and views.
I've been reading one that I'm hooked on - http://todayscliche.com/.
I have a feeling you'd get a lot out of it.

Incredible job on your blog; keep it up.

Thanks,
Amy